Human rights lawyer, Mr. Femi Falana has said that the Senate ad hoc committee was wrong to have questioned embattled lawmaker, Senator Elisha Abbo, on Tuesday.

Falana told The PUNCH that although the Senate had a right to discipline its members, Abbo could not be questioned because the matter was already in court and questioning him now would amount to subjudice.

He noted that Abbo had already been arraigned before a magistrate court, pleaded not guilty and granted bail.

The senior advocate noted that the Senate rules clearly state that when a matter is before a court of law, the Senate cannot discuss such a matter.

The activist said, “We all watched the video showing the senator allegedly assaulting a lady but we all demanded justice and the police have already arraigned him. The matter is now before a court and Senator Abbo is a defendant.

“It is, therefore, wrong for the Senate to sit and investigate a matter publicly while the matter is ongoing in court. That is subjudice. The Senate rules are clear that when a matter is in court, the Senate does not dabble into it.”

Abbo, who represents Adamawa-North senatorial district, was caught on video assaulting a shop attendant in a sex toy shop.

The video sparked outrage across the country with different rights groups demanding his prosecution.

The Senate President subsequently set up an ad hoc committee headed by Senator Sam Egwu of Ebonyi State while Lagos Central lawmaker, Senator Tinubu; Senator Stella Oduah of Anambra-North, Mathew Urhoghide, Dauda Aliu Jika, Sani Musa, and Danladi Sankara are members.

The committee was asked to submit its report within two weeks.

Before the committee could sit on Tuesday, however, the police had already arraigned Abbo the previous day.

Source: Punch

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

89 − = 81
Powered by MathCaptcha

You May Also Like

Tinubu Reveals What His Presidency Will Do Differently

We will end the harmful fuel subsidy, estimated to have cost $7.5bn in the first half of 2023

Ruling On Emefiele’s Application Alleging Bias Gets Feb 26 Date

Emefiele is standing trial on a 19-count charge bordering on receiving gratification

Tinubu Never Stopped 5-Year Multiple-Entry Visa For US Citizens – Presidency

We want to reiterate that the US government’s claim of reciprocity as the reason for its current visa policy towards Nigeria does not accurately reflect the actual situation

Beautician Wins New Car In Glo Festival Of Joy Promo

It was that visit that was used to convince her that she had hit a jackpot