What Nasir El-Rufai Said After Resigning From APC

Former Governor of Kaduna State, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai has made an official statement following his resignation from the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

El-Rufai, a two term governor of Kaduna State – from 2015 to 2023 – submitted his letter of resignation from the APC to his ward in Kaduna today, March 10, 2025.

He made available the statement confirming his defection from APC and also announcing the Social Democratic Party (SDP) as his new political party via his social media handles.

The statement he personally signed, dated March 10, and titled “NIGERIA UPDATE:  Onwards to the future”  where he detailed what led to his decision read…

As a founding member of the All Progressives Congress (APC), I have fond memories of working with other compatriots to negotiate the merger of political parties that created the APC. It had been my hope since 2013 that my personal values and that of the APC will continue to align up to the time I choose to retire from politics.

Developments in the last two years confirm that there is no desire on the part of those who currently control and run the APC to acknowledge, much less address, the unhealthy situation of the party.

On my part, I have raised concerns in private and, more recently, in public regarding the capricious trajectory of the party. Therefore, at this point in my political journey, I have come to the conclusion that I must seek another political platform for the pursuit of the progressive values I cherish.

Founders rightly feel attached towards institutions they helped create, but one must be pragmatic enough to admit when a divergence appears unbridgeable. I have diligently served the APC and made my contributions to its viability as a political platform,  but I recognize that the party has since strayed and left me stuck in the vision of its well-meaning founding fathers and mothers.

As a loyal party man, I worked to help secure the APC’s election victories in 2015, 2019 and 2023. I was one of the many governors elected on the party’s platform in 2015 and 2019, that stood for certain democratic and progressive principles to advance nation-building. My eight-year tenure in Kaduna State was devoted to implementing progressive policies to advance human development in education and healthcare, as well as expand infrastructure, promote equality of opportunity, create jobs and attract investments. These records count for little in the current APC that has castrated its organs and treated its membership with contempt in the last two years. I find this no longer acceptable.

Today, 10th March 2025, I have submitted a letter resigning my membership of the APC to my ward in Kaduna, effective immediately. Prior to this step, I had concluded consultations with my mentors, colleagues and loyalists across the country about the future. I have now decided to join the Social Democratic Party (SDP), and adopt it as the platform for our future political engagements and activities.

Without prejudice to this decision, as a member of the SDP, I will focus on engaging with and persuading other opposition leaders and parties to join us and congregate under a unified democratic platform to challenge the APC in all elections and bye-elections between now and 2027 by the Grace of God. I therefore call on all our supporters and other persons concerned about our country’s future to join us in the SDP in the journey towards making Nigeria flourish as a beacon of pride for Africans and the Black Race.

Thank you and God Bless the Social Democratic Party.
God Bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Nasir Ahmad El-Rufai, CON
Abuja, Nigeria
10th March 2025

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

45 − 37 =
Powered by MathCaptcha

You May Also Like

Why Gov Fubara Said It Will Be Fire For Fire In Rivers

That resolution, I am implementing it. It is not a constitutional implementation. It is a political solution to a problem

Nigeria Already Exited Its Phase Of Economic Instability – VP Shettima Tells Investors

The Vice President listed priorities in the administration’s development plan to include job creation, food security, value-chain development

Court Admits More Exhibits As Ex-Gov Jang’s N6.2bn Fraud Trial Continues

More documents presented by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, have…

Owo Attack: Gov Akeredolu Reveals How To Protect Places Of Worship

churches in Ondo State are not unmindful of the bold steps taken by the State Government in ensuring security of lives and property